Are SAT boot camps effective?

My daughter is a sophomore in high school and is beginning her SAT prep this summer. I've been getting conflicting information on whether a boot camp like Elite is better than one-on-one tutoring, or even an online prep program.

Before we commit 14 weeks of summer to a boot camp, I'm wondering if you can offer some input to help us make an informed decision.

It partially depends on your daughter's level of commitment and motivation. SAT Boot Camps can be great for students who have trouble enacting their own study schedules and need an enforced structure to keep them focused. However, they can also be a waste of money if a student is perfectly capable of studying responsibly on their own time.

One-on-one tutoring is typically better than an SAT Boot Camp because it's specifically tailored to the needs of each student. At a camp, everyone is pretty much assigned the same work, so more advanced students may stagnate, and those who still struggle with basic concepts may be left behind. Online programs have similar benefits because they're usually designed to identify each student's specific weaknesses and target them systematically through relevant practice questions.

This is largely a matter of what you can afford and what type of program fits best with your daughter's learning style. Overall, though, I would say that SAT Boot Camps aren't as effective as more individualized prep programs, whether these programs are online or one-on-one with a tutor.

1 Like