I have some questions... they are quite a bit but I really need to know the right answer as I'm not from the US and everyone - including my teachers - seems to be VERY misinformed. The only advice they give me is to be well-rounded, and you said that's a bad thing... I think it's bad too :D. Also, it's good to know that I'm not a native English speaker. I'm from Bulgaria - a small country in Eastern Europe. I won't be surprised if you haven't even heard of it. Have you?
So... here's the 1st question: As English is a foreign language to me, I'm taking the C2 exam (administered by Cambridge, equivalent to IELTS, better than TOEFL) in a year. Taking C2 exam instead of IELTS isn't a problem, is it?
2) I am an amateur writer. I want to work in the writing/ cinematography field. I feel books/ films are the wind beneath my wings!!! I've already written the manuscripts of 7 high fantasy novels and I had my first one published in 2014 (then I was 15, now I'm 16). The problem is, Bulgarian publishers aren't interested in publishing adult Bulgarian writers, let alone 10th graders as me. Barely 5% of Bulgarian people read. Book market here is quite corrupted. Don't even get me started on Bulgarian movie business - American is waaaaaay better! I see no point in pursuing writing/ move director/ etc./ career in my home country so I'm thinking about going to uni in the US. I'm planning on taking the SAT, as well as the SAT Literature Subject Test and Math I. Suppose I take them with flying colors (on my first practice test I had about 1350-1400 --- on the Renewed SAT) - would they be enough?
3) If everything is OK, I should have my 2nd novel published by the end of 2016. I have won a few Literature and Math competitions - on a national and regional level, respectively. I have won 2 scholarships; one of my short stories was published in a magazine. I'm having the 1st chapter of my already-published novel translated in English and published in a matter of weeks in an English magazine. Also, I'm going to create a webpage and post my short stories there, as well as other writing stuff... I have "6"s (which is equivalent to "A"s) in all school subjects. Unfortunately, Bulgarian education system doesn't have GPA or APs. Does this put me in a disadvantage?
4) We have 13-15 compulsory school subjects while Americans students have about 8. Is this an advantage?
5) I have a lot of household chores, look after my sister and my pet dog, study for SAT exams and write (novels and stories), so I don't have time for jobs or volunteering. Moreover, those two aren't my cup of tea AT ALL. Would this affect my application?
6) What are my chances of getting into top colleges with writing/ film studies programs? I know it's not a simple calculation to be made, and there are no ways to predict it, but what should be my target colleges?
7) The next one is an odd question... If you didn't know I was non-native, would you be able to tell from my comment?
8) And... here's the last question... at last! I want to learn more about American culture. The Internet isn't always useful. Is there a way for me to connect with American peers on Facebook?
Well, these are the questions I can think of. I count on you helping me. I would highly appreciate if you give me some advice! I'm looking forward to your reply!