Can I get into Johns Hopkins with a 3.8 GPA?

I'm a freshman in high school and currently have a GPA of 3.5. I am going to work as hard as possible in my sophomore and junior years to increase my GPA to a 3.8.

Is it possible to get into a school like Johns Hopkins with that GPA?

It's certainly possible to get into Johns Hopkins with a 3.8 GPA, but your chances will depend largely on your other qualifications. A 3.8 GPA is slightly below average at Johns Hopkins based on the statistics. This year, for the class of 2020, the average GPA for admitted students was a 3.93.

However, we don't know exactly how the school calculates GPA or whether this is a weighted or unweighted GPA measurement. Colleges will view your GPA in context, so if you took very difficult classes and/or your school is especially challenging, that will be taken into account. For more details on how colleges view GPA, check out this article.

If you have excellent test scores (the most recent averages for Johns Hopkins were 1440-1560 on the new SAT and 33 on the ACT) and a solid background of impressive extracurricular achievements, you'll end up with a decent shot at admission.