Do Homeschooled Students Need SAT/ACT for Community College?

I’m homeschooled, and I’m considering enrolling in community college. Will I need to take the SAT or ACT?

2 Likes

It depends on which programs and colleges interest you. Most community colleges have open enrollment (they accept anyone who applies) and do not require the SAT or ACT. However, they usually ask students to take placement tests so that they can be placed into appropriate classes for their skill levels. Oftentimes, students are exempt from these tests if they have already taken the SAT or ACT. If you want to get your testing over with early, it might be a good idea to take the SAT or ACT.

You should also check the requirements of the programs that interest you. Certain specialized programs (like nursing) at community colleges will require SAT or ACT scores. If you’re planning on transferring to a four year college after attending community college for a year or two, you should definitely take the SAT or ACT. These scores are usually required for transfer applications at four-year colleges.

Being homeschooled in high school shouldn’t change any of these standardized testing requirements for community college enrollment.

Source: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/prepare-for-college/tests

2 Likes