Good SAT Score Possible on First Attempt?

Is it possible to get a decent SAT score (1400-1600) in the first attempt? I'm giving the test in January which means I'll only get one attempt. I'm relying on Khan Academy and practice tests to get by. English is my strength, Math needs practice. So if I set my sights on a good score, is it unrealistic? Should I be prepared to be disappointed?

It's certainly possible to get a 1400-1600 SAT score on the first attempt, but whether or not you can get that score depends on two main factors:

1. What your starting score is. If you haven't already, you should take a realistic practice SAT and find out what your current level is for SAT Math and Evidence-Based Reading and Writing.
  2. How much time you'll be able to devote to studying. We go into this topic in more detail in this article, but basically how much you want to improve your score directly affects how long you'll need to study. This is why it's important to get an idea of how you're scoring now - it'll tell you by how much you need to improve.

You might also want to read this article on how practice got PrepScholar co-founder Fred Zhang a perfect 1600 SAT score.