Has anyone wasted time and money in college without knowing it because of wrong major?

My timing was off. I entered college thinking i had the right major. Not until already committed, with a student loan, did i accidentally happen upon a college that embraced my true identity. Can anyone relate? How do i get a do over, if i don’t have the skills to make money and repay the loan, outside of entering and completing the college of my true identity? Please. I’ve had bad forum experiences, before. May i receive a response from someone who relates, and an empathetic response? Thanks. It’s appreciated.

Hi, I can definitely understand and relate to your problem. It’s hard to know what you want to do with the rest of your life at 17/18 years old!

As for the practical concerns about repaying the loan and pursuing your passion, it really all depends on what you plan on doing after college with that dream major. If your dream is in the arts, it might be harder to make ends meet in the short term versus if your found passion is computer science. But that’s not to say it’s impossible!

However, in the professional world, I know many people (if not most!) who do jobs that aren’t exactly what their major in college prepared them for. Try getting more specific with your goals and finding the right balance between your practical/financial side and your true self. Transferring colleges may be tough, but it can bring about good things, especially if some of your credits can transfer. Talk to someone at that college, both as professional in the admissions department and try to find students that have experiences transferring there.

That’s all the advice I can give without knowing more. Good luck on your journey!