Is it worth it for me to prepare for and take the SAT?

My problem is this: I'm a Spanish student, and the education system of my country is very different from the American one. While I have very good grades, I don't take part in any clubs or extracurricular activities, simply because in Spain, such concepts are nearly non-existent and won't be of any use for your academic future.

I have a C1 level of English with an A grade (meaning C2), so taking the TOEFL wouldn't be a problem for me. But the SAT would be a huge one. I have discarded the ACT because I don't have any science classes (I take Economics instead).

I know I'm running against the clock, but I want to study creative writing/filmmaking and my country is not a great choice for that, so I desperately need to study in the US. But I need to get into a good college, and that requires very high SAT scores. I'll have to start preparing for the SAT from nearly 0, and I know how insane that is, but I'm smart, and I know that's not something someone should say about themselves. Learning is easy for me, and I have the rest of the summer to prepare without any other responsibility.

So now that I've introduced my situation, it's time for the question: Should I really go through the nearly impossible effort of preparing for the SAT from 0? Or, given my lack of extracurricular and honors qualifications (AP classes and such don't exist here), good colleges won't consider me?

Thank you in advance.

You sound like you're in a better place to prepare for and take the SAT than you think. Based on what you've written here, your English skills are excellent, so you won't really be "starting from 0". Try taking and scoring a practice test so you can see how much you need to improve to reach your target score. My guess is that a few months of dedicated preparation will be sufficient for you to end up with a good score.

Keep in mind that colleges in the US vary dramatically in their levels of selectivity. You should definitely do some research to find specific schools that have great creative writing and filmmaking programs so you can see what they actually expect for SAT scores.

As for your concerns about lack of extracurriculars and honors classes, don't worry too much about being compared directly to other students who have had these opportunities. Colleges in the states are familiar with the differing educational systems that exist in other countries and will judge students based on the appropriate standards. You say that you have very good grades by your country's metrics, and American colleges will recognize your achievements accordingly.

1 Like