Possible to raise SAT score 300 points in 3 months?

I'm not happy with how I'm currently scoring on the new SAT, and I was wondering if I would be able to improve my score by 300 points or more with a 3 month study plan. I'd like to go from a 1000 to a 1300 or higher. Is this an unrealistic goal?

1 Like

It's possible, but it depends heavily on how much time you can devote to studying and how familiar you are with the test already. If you're very new to the SAT and haven't done much practice yet, it's more likely that you'll see large improvements from your starting score in a short period of time.

For this big of an improvement, most students need 150 hours of study time or more. Broken down over the course of 3 months, that's about 10 hours a week. This could be a manageable goal during the summer, but it's going to be tough if you're also responsible for your regular schoolwork. That being said, some people are more efficient studiers than others, so it's not out of the question that you could study for less time and still improve by the same number of points.

Overall, though, you should think about starting earlier than 3 months before the test if you're serious about your goal.

Source: Asked SAT tutors about their experience with students and point improvements on the SAT

1 Like