Same Exact SAT Score?

I took my first SAT Practice test and got a 1130. The next time I did significantly worse and got a 1040. Now, I have taken another practice test and got a 1130 again! Is this normal?

Yes, it is normal to have the similar SAT scores between practice tests. Improvement is difficult and takes hours (for example PrepScholar recommends at least 40 hours baseline with our program for 160 points of improvement). If you just study a couple of hours between practice test, don't be surprised at no improvement.

Also, there is a lot of luck in scores -- SAT test/retest studies show that the same person will vary as much as 50 points (standard deviation) between tests. Thus, you could easy be improving 20-30 points between tests, but because of noise in testing you can't tell.

Yes, it is normal to have the similar SAT scores between practice tests. Improvement is difficult and takes hours (for example PrepScholar recommends at least 40 hours baseline with our program for 160 points of improvement). If you just study a couple of hours between practice test, don't be surprised at no improvement.

Also, there is a lot of luck in scores -- SAT test/retest studies show that the same person will vary as much as 50 points (standard deviation) between tests. Thus, you could easy be improving 20-30 points between tests, but because of noise in testing you can't tell.