SAT Score Release Date Close to College App Deadline, Help?

I need to apply to Purdue by November 1st, 2016. This is their deadline to be considered for scholarships. I want to send my application in right now, October 20th, 2016.

But I haven't received my SAT scores yet from the Oct 1st SAT. It says scores don't come out until Oct 27th, but I don't want to apply that close to the deadline, and it says colleges won't even receive scores until Nov 3rd, two days after the deadline, which makes me wonder if they will even be considered.

I want my scores to be considered. Should I apply right now or wait until I receive scores?

Colleges will generally consider your SAT / ACT scores if the college receives that score a little bit later after the application deadline. This is true amongst many colleges and has been the practice for many years.

For example, Purdue explicitly says [1] about the November 1st, 2016 deadline that:

Encourage your students to send their spring 2016 test scores to Purdue to ensure that their application is complete by November 1. Fall scores will “catch up” with applications and will be used for admission and scholarship decisions once they arrive, but for scholarship and Honors College consideration, it is important that students not miss the November 1 deadline. Test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency; we do not accept test scores on school transcripts.

My interpretation if this is that: - You must finish your application by November 1st. - However, the scores can arrive later. - Your SAT / ACT scores must be from a fall administration (e.g. anytime December 20th or before). Your scores must be sent directly to the college.

Of course, to be 100% sure, the best thing to do is always to call the school.

The general lesson here is that the deadline for YOU is not the same as the deadline for the SAT / ACT, or even the teachers writing your recommendation letters. Deadlines not for you tend to be later, but generally even these need to get to the school 3-4 weeks+ (rule of thumb) before they announce the decision.

[1] http://www.admissions.purdue.edu/counselors/newsletter-know.php

Other Sources: - Past experience applying to bachelor and PhD Programs. - Conversations with admissions officers.