September ACT - When to Start Prepping?

I know it's early to start thinking about yet, but I want to know when a good time to start prepping for the September ACT is. I'm not going to be able to start until after June, but I know I'm going to have lots of AP homework/summer reading over the summer. When should I start studying? Is one month enough time (if I wait until August)?

While some of how long you study will depend on how well you're doing now vs how far you have to go, in general we recommend devoting at least 40 hours to studying for the ACT. This is the amount of time you'll need to put in to improve your score more than 1-2 points.

So when should you start studying? It depends on how much time you'll be able to put into studying each day and each week. If you'll be able to study at least ten hours a week, then waiting until the beginning of August to start your September ACT prep should be fine. Be sure to read our six-step guide to figuring out how long you should study for the ACT for more tips on planning out your study schedule.