Should I retake a B in Spanish 1?

Call me silly, but I am a Freshman and I have set my sights on Harvard (I know how unhealthy and unrealistic that is, but I'm taking it as a challenge). First, I have one question.

Does Harvard, (or any of the HYPSM or other top schools) consider 8th grade high school classes? I know so many applicants get rejected with a 4.0 UW GPA. The thing is, I really love Spanish, but last year (8th grade), in Spanish 1, my teacher was very uninterested and most people in the class got a B or less. I got 2 B's, 1 in each semester. I know that's no excuse, but I feel unfair about it. Now in Spanish 2 with a spectacular teacher, I have a 102-103% right now, and I love the language even more. I will go up to AP Spanish. Although this sounds like an obsessive perfectionist, if Harvard and any other school does see the 2 B's in middle school, I think I should retake it. I'm upset because this brings down my class rank DRASTICALLY as well as my UW GPA (but not by a whole lot as class rank.) I would have a 4.0 GPA right now, but because of this, I can't get it back.

I'm sorry if I come off a bit odd. I would have accepted it if I had deserved it, but I truly feel that I didn't. Thank you!

As long as your B in 8th grade Spanish didn't prevent you from taking the most difficult classes as a freshman, you shouldn't worry about it. Colleges only care about your grades from freshman through senior year of high school. They won't see any earlier grades. Focus on consistently earning high grades in challenging courses for the next three years, and you'll have a strong chance of admission at colleges like Harvard. It sounds like you're doing really well so far!

2 Likes

Even if it's a high school class? I wasn't even aware that I was taking a class that was high school level. It is Spanish 1, and seeing how many are 4.0 applicants, I feel so much less competitive even if I maintained a 4.0 in high school.

Thanks for responding Sam, really appreciate it.

P.S: Currently taking 2 A.Ps, I am definitely taking and maintaining high As in these classes. I will work hard!

No problem! :)

In that case, I would recommend talking to your guidance counselor and asking whether your grade in Spanish 1 will count towards the GPA that colleges see on your high school transcript. You can also ask what has happened in the past with other kids from your school who applied to Harvard or similar colleges. What were their GPAs if they got accepted?

Even if the B counts towards your overall high school GPA, I still think you shouldn't stress yourself out about it. If you earn high grades/test scores throughout the rest of high school, I promise that one B in a class you took four years before you applied to college isn't going to make Harvard discard your application.