Should you have spare time on the SAT?

Hey there, I'm a rising senior who's taken the SAT twice. First score was 1690/2400, second was 1280/1600. My parents were reluctant to pay for a second time without any preparation on my part, but I convinced them that the new SAT would be better for me based on the PSAT I took in the fall (1200/1600)

I was thrilled with May's score, but looking back on the test got me thinking. I didn't answer at least what I remember for be 25% of the questions. (Not blank; guesses)

I'm eligible for extended time due to my ADHD, but I would have to go through a lot of trouble to submit that information to collegeboard. I'm reasonably intelligent, and I'm just trying to find out if (considering the amount of q's I guess on) I should be happy with the 1280.

TL;DR: 1. Is the new SAT designed with time to spare on each section? Or do people rarely get to answer them all?

Is there a correlation between the new SAT and IQ?

Would you be satisfied with a 1280?

1: The new SAT is not designed with time to spare on each section, but with practice most people can finish all the questions before time is called. I would highly recommend submitting a request for extra time so you can reach your full potential on the test. It may seem like a long and arduous process, but it's not fair for you to be put at such a disadvantage because of your disability.

2: The connection between SAT scores and IQ was pretty well-established before the new SAT. This is not surprising because the SAT was originally developed from an IQ test. However, since there have been significant changes to the format and content of the new SAT, it's not totally clear how the two are related now. More statistics will need to become available before any conclusions can be drawn. Also, keep in mind that both are very flawed measures of intelligence. A person's SAT scores can change significantly over time because it's possible for a person of average intelligence to perform at a high level if they've done enough prep.

3: The question of whether or not you should be happy with a 1280 depends entirely on where you plan on applying to college. A 1280 is well above the national average, so it will get you into many moderately selective schools. The only way to tell if you need to retake the test or not is to look up statistics on admitted students for the colleges you want to attend. Here's more advice on finding a good target score.